> utility service

> other services

The Agent will take meter readings whenever possible at each change of occupation in the property and inform the service companies (electricity, gas and water) of these readings and change of occupation. In many cases, the service companies (e.g. British Gas) require that the new occupiers formally request and authorise the service and it is not always possible for the Agent to do this on the tenants or Landlords behalf. Regarding mail, Landlords should take care to inform all parties (e.g. Banks, clubs, societies etc.) of their new address; it is not always possible to rely on tenants to forward mail. However, we do collect and forward mail where possible when the property is unoccupied.